~ Using 4 simple ingredients: cream, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla ~
2 cups pure cream
1tsp vanilla bean paste
5 egg yolks
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tsp caster sugar
- Whisk yolks and sugar until just well combined. Don’t whisk too much, as this can create bubbles.
- Pour cream into eggs and gently stir to combine. Divide the mixture between ramekins with a soup ladle(spoon).
- Preheat the oven to 130°C/265°F (120°C fans). Place 4 x ⅔ cup / 150 ml empty ramekins in a baking pan with high enough sides that enough water can be poured in to come halfway up the ramekins.
4 . Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the custard is set, but there is still a slight wobble when you GENTLY give the ramekin a little shake.
- Remove ramekins from water. Leave to cool, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours and preferably overnight (up to 3 days is OK).
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp sugar over the surface of each crème brûlée. Use a blowtorch to melt and caramelise the sugar. (if you don’t have a blowtorch, pour some sugar caramel and serve immediately.
By Hiran Manoj Peiris
Director- Chef Spicy Touch
Head Chef- Local Dinner Stag Park, Taupo